Rear hub removal

Technical questions and answers
balders

Rear hub removal

Post by balders » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm

The joys of re-building. I am trying to get the rear brake hubs off. I believe they are on a tapered shaft. I have managed to get a 3 claw hub puller on and really wound the pressure up. Hasn't moved an inch. Anyone got the answer to my prayers :beg: Thanks

Phil.

Re: Rear hub removal

Post by Phil. » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:38 pm

balders wrote:The joys of re-building. I am trying to get the rear brake hubs off. I believe they are on a tapered shaft. I have managed to get a 3 claw hub puller on and really wound the pressure up. Hasn't moved an inch. Anyone got the answer to my prayers :beg: Thanks
Well, I read somewhere that one method to ease them up required you loosen up shoes, back off on the hub nuts a couple of turns, put the wheels back on and drive around slowly in circles shifting from left to right until they pop. Apparently the shifting of weight back and forth loosens them up. Never tried it though.

As for the puller, I've always used this type with no problems. Hope that helps :hello:

DSCN1056.JPG
DSCN1058.JPG

cheiftain
Technical Expert

Post by cheiftain » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:03 pm

balders wrote:The joys of re-building. I am trying to get the rear brake hubs off. I believe they are on a tapered shaft. I have managed to get a 3 claw hub puller on and really wound the pressure up. Hasn't moved an inch. Anyone got the answer to my prayers :beg: Thanks
3 leg puller not recommended as you will break the edges of the drum off. Phil shows the only way to safely remove them, loosen the hub nut a couple of turns and drive over some ruff ground as suggested. or make yourself a puller like in the picture, just make sure to leave the hub nut on the halfshaft a few turns to stop the drum shooting across the workshop. :good: welcome to the mad world of mindies. :hello:
The journey isn't about departing in a well preserved body - but rather to skid in sideways - totally worn out - shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Be More like a Dog, If you can't, Eat it, Play with it, Chase it, or Bark at it, Just Piss on it and walk away.

Phil.

Post by Phil. » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Don't want to go down the "grannny sucking eggs" route,( please correct if I'm wrong) but I'm sure that the plate of the puller appears to be the hub section of an old drum. Hard to see in the pic, but those holes are splined to take the wheel bolts which are belted in from the other side.

If that is the case getting a hold of an old hub would be a plus, and easy fix for someone with a welder.
DSCN1065.JPG

Alan
Site Owner

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Well spotted Phil, it's a front stub axle that's had the 'stub' mostly removed and a feck off nut welded on :good:

stephen

Post by stephen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:09 am

I made mine out of a knackered suzuki sierra disc, looks pretty much like yours- except my welds are more ......ummm........."agricultural" :rolleyes:
doesnt look very pretty, but it works

edit: just realised thats an almost perfect description for a mindie :lol: :lol:
Stephen
--------------
(I'm one of those damn colonials rattling his chains)

balders

Post by balders » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks guys. Most helpful. Time to get the welder out again and fudge something together. Happy days.